Saturday, June 21, 2008

Popsicles for a hot summer day

Summer is upon us in our part of the world! The searing heat, the dry,
oven like puff of heat that fills the air has got to call for some way
to cool us down, specially my kids.

The abundance of summer fruits such strawberries, cantaloupes,
Watermelons, mango abound in the Market.

What better way to cool down from the Summer heat than to suck
on these frozen popsicles treats made with fresh fruits like a 5 yr old kid?

Lately, I've been buying boxes upon boxes of Otter Pops
from Cosco Warehouse market. These products are nothing
but plastic tubes, that contains sugar water and artifical flavoring like
orange, strawberry, cantaloupe, mint, lemon-lime, etc... fruit flavor.

My three kids, and together with their playmates
would place these popsicle products in the freezer
overnight then take them out the following day
and sip and suck these frozen cool treats with pleasure on
hot and thirst triggering Summer days.

To me, these popsicles are nothing but artificial flavor,
sugar which is something I prefer my kids or
their playmates not to get used to. Not healthy for their teeth, I must say.

Well, its time I made my own Popsicles that I had better control
of the ingredients put in these cold treats.

I'll be posting a series of Popsicle recipes for the days to come
as I make them.

Strawberry Banana Posicles will be the first recipe and provided below.

Acknowlegement:

I would like to acknowlege Lazy Luau (the vendor
whom I bought my popsicle molds at in EBay) for sharing her Popsicle recipes
where these Popsicle Recipes were based from.

Accoriding to her, she used these Pospicle recipes
while raising her two sons. Thanks :-) .


Strawberry Banana Popsicle

Ingredients:

-1 cup bananas
-1/2 cup plain yogurt
-1 -1 /2 cups fresh and ripe strawberries, leaves taken out, and quartered
-1 (13.5 ounce) can crushed pineapples
-2/3 cups evaporated milk

Preparation procedure
-Put all the ingredients in a blender and blitz them until smooth puree is attained.

-Fill popsicle molds and poke the mold's stick in the middle.

-Put the popsicle in the freezer upright and freeze for a few hours.

-Take out and enjoy!

No comments: