September 9, 2006
The three kids (Justin, Trevor, and Kristen ) ,Manang Christine , Kuya Chito, and myself
went out for a nature hike at Santa Rosa
Plateau Ecological Reserve , somewhere
between Murrieta and Temecula California.
It was a spur of the moment hike so nothing
was really planned. View some of the Hike and evening picnic pictures by visiting our Online Photo Album:
After a couple hours of walking, naturally everybody had a big appetite for food.
We couldn't prepare food within the park/trail since the place is a State Park,
campfires, even stoves of any sort are prohibited.
We drove to Menifee Park instead, found a nice picnic table and cooked
some char-grilled Burgers and experimented with Lemon Garlic Shrimps recipe*.
The Lemon Garlic Shrimps came out pretty decent, actually. Kuya Chito
who is normally allergic to Shrimps tried it out. I think its the
aroma from the white wine that just tickles your appetite.
Here's the recipe:
Lemon Garlic Shrimps
Juice and zest of one Lemon
1/2 cup white wine
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 pounds shrimp peeled and deveined
3 tablespoon butter, cut into peices
1 bag of Charcoal
small 1 1/2 inch brush
1. Prepare 4 squares of alumnium foil
2. Use a small brush to pspread Olive Oil on the surface of the foil.
3. In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice and zest, wine, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper until well combined.
4. Toss with the shrimp
5. Place about 1/2 pound of the shrimp in the center
of each peice of each foil.
6. Top with Butter peices.
7. Fold up the sides of the foil. and drizzle about 1 teaspoon of the marinade over each pile of shrimp.
8. Fold the edges of the foil together to form a tightly sealed packet, leaving space for steam and heat to circulate inside.
9. Grille the packets over high heat, 15 - 20 minutes until the shrimps are cooked through.
10. Serve immediately in packets to maintain a nice pool of sauce for dipping.
*If you're interested in Camping Recipes, try out the book "Campfire Cuisine: Gourmet Recipes for the Outdoors" by Robin Donovan, ISBN: 1594740852