Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Guinatang Bilo-bilo




Back during my childhood years, I regard Bilo-bilo
as my favorite dessert after dinner
or merienda on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.
Laden with tapioca balls, bilo-bilo balls,
kamote (sweet potato), lanka (jack fruit), and gata (coconut milk)
it is indeed a gastronomical delight.

I made a pot full for the kids tonight.
They were delighted with the sweet dessert.

You know, I look at food as one way of passing
my Filipino culture to my US born kids.
Later when they grow up, they'll look
back to food as a way to identify with their
Filipino culture.

Well, my version of bilo-bilo is not any different from the
bilo-bilo recipes available on the Internet. I used Connie Veneracion's
Pinoy Cook.net Bilo-bilo Recipe with some slight variation.
I added Jack fruit on my Bilo-bilo otherwise everything else follows her Recipe.

Click here to view the Recipe.

I'm providing a more detailed procedure to make Bilo-bilo for folks
out there who can't buy Galapong or bilo-bilo in the local Market.

Bilo-bilo balls:



Ingredients:

1 cup glutinus rice flour
1/3 cup water

Bilo-bilo procedure:
1. In a bowl of rice flour, gradually add water while using hands to clump flour
into a dough ball.

2. Wrap the rice flour dough ball with cling film and
let rest for 20 - 30 minutes in the refrigerator.

3. Sprinkle Rice flour in a flat surface.

4. shape bilo-bilo balls from the dough, about 1/4 inch diameter.

5. Roll the formed bilo-bilo unto the floured surface.

6. Store the formed bilo-bilo balls on a flat plate and resume with the rest of the recipe.

No comments: